HRPC Suggests Modifications Of Astro Curriculum

The HRPC Astronomy Audit Committee has recommended changes in the department's advising and tutorial systems and expansion of the introductory-level Astronomy 101 into a full course.

The Committee's report, approved at Monday's HRPC meeting, criticized the department's tutorial program for its failure to involve sophomores more directly with the department. The present program includes a junior tutorial followed by senior thesis research, but has no specific provisions for sophomores.

'Inadequacy'

The Committee's report also studied the "inadequacy" of the department's of the department's course advising system. "Often faculty members know nothing more about courses which many students take than the descriptions in the catalogue," the report stated.

The Committee proposed the establishment of a "semi-formal" group of student advisors, which also could be able to offer suggestions for curriculum change on a permanent basis.

Expand 101

The report's most specific proposal centered on a revision of Astronomy 101 ("Observational Astronomy"). Expansion of the present half-course format, more fully coordinated with Physics 112, would "permit students a grasp of the range of astrophysical phenomena and a reasonably advanced physical and mathematic level," the report said.