Sly, Family Stone Take spring Tour

TOP POP FESTIVALS

The incredible and unpredictable Sly and The Family Stone, recent chartbusters and winners of a Gold Record for their single "Everyday People," are embarking on a personal appearance tour, and, in their role as one of the top American groups on the scene today, will be headlining the leading American pop music festivals.

The dynamic Family Stone will top the pop music festivals at Forest Hills in New York in June and in Detroit and Laurel Park, Maryland, in July. On the July 4th weekend they will close the Newport Jazz Festival in Rhode Island. This will be the first time in the sixteen-year history of the famous Newport Festival that a rock group will be the closing act. In August, Sly and the Family Stone will showcase at the Woodstock. Music Festival in Woodstock, New York. Among the other festivals on their summer agenda is a starring appearance at the Duke Ellington tribute at Hampden-Sydney College, in Hampden-Sydney, Virginia.

As well as their personal appearances, the incredible and unpredictable septet will star on national television shows, including their second appearance within three months on The Ed Sullivan Show, on March 23rd. They were signed for the show immediately after their first appearance.

Sly and The Family Stone took a three-months hiatus earlier this year while their trumpet player, Cynthia, Robinson, recuperated from surgery. During that time, Sly, who writes, arranges and produces the Family Stone music under his real name of Sylvester Stewart, prepared the group's new single and fourth album. But rather than replace Cynthia or go on without her, three months of lucrative bookings were cancelled. The Family Stone, is, indeed, a family.

Their itinerary so far for spring and summer includes:

March 21 Queens College, Flushing, N.Y.

March 23 The Ed Sullivan show, N.Y., N.Y.

March 26 Monroe College, Rochester N.Y.

March 27 State University, New Platz, N.Y.