Student Legislators Meet To From Lobbying Group

Massachusetts Intercollegiate Government, a new student group, brought undergraduates from colleges throughout the state to Boston last week for the first of an annual series of conferences modeled after meeting of the state legislature.

Over 200 delegates from 65 colleges throughout the state, including five from Harvard, participated in the conference. They passed bills favoring votes for 18-year-olds, a liberalized abortion law, and student representation on the boards of trustees of all state schools.

John D. Hanify '71, a member of the government's executive body, the Standing Committee, said yesterday that the organization hopes to be a informal lobby for student interests in the Massachusetts state government.

He added, "The basic purpose of the conference last week was to get students together to talk about the issues that they want to work on for the next year."

Senator Edward W. Brooke (R-Mass.), Senator Edward M. Kennedy '54 (D-Mass.), an "numerous state legislators" have endorsed the Massachusetts Intercollegiate Government Peter J. Bernbaum '71, Facilities Chairman for the convention, said yesterday.

Copying Carolina

William Burke, a senior at American International College, suggested forming the organization at the National Student Association conference last summer, Bernbaum said. The North Carolina legislature has approved 75 per cent of the bills passed by a similar group in the state, he added.

The Radcliffe union of Students and the Harvard Undergraduate Council chose Harvard's representatives. Hanify said that the same delegates will meet in a constitutional convention this spring to formalize the organization's structure.

Margot Roosevelt '71, one of Harvard's delegates, said, "I think that on the whole Harvard University is more liberal than the students at the conference were."