Yardling Cagers Beat Dartmouth

The Harvard freshman basketball team ended a successful season by downing Dartmouth, 106-100, in a tight contest Tuesday night at Andover.

Perhaps slightly overconfident, the Yardlings were trailing, 89-81, with six minutes to go after a see-saw battle. Then, led by the outstanding play of high scorers Mat Bozek and Brain Newmark--with each netting 28 points--the freshmen moved to within six points of the leaders.

The turning points of the game came when two of Dartmouth's starters fouled out with two minutes left to play. At that point, Dave Sawier came off the bench to make two key baskets which tied the score at 98 all. Revitalized, the Yardlings displayed their usual confidence--they've won their last nine games--and managed to hold off the Indians.

Frantic Effort

In a frantic effort to keep Harvard from scoring, Dartmouth began to foul heavily, but the Yardlings capitalized by sinking most of the resulting free throws. Brian Newmark was a key man in the last few minutes, as he continued to dominate the boards.

Pleased with his players' performance, coach Ken Klug said, "with hard summer work, I feel that all of these boys are capable of playing varsity basketball."