Quincy House Champions In House Boxing Tourney

Hefty Gary Farneti rocked Dunster's Bill Mahoney for three consecutive rounds yesterday afternoon in the final bout of the House Boxing Tournament in the IAB to claim the unlimited class title and pile extra points on Quincy House's winning lead.

Quincy had four contestants in the finals and though Farneti was the only one of the four to win his bout, Walter Johnson (165), Joe Tibbetts (175), and Kent Hales (185) added valuable second-place points. Winthrop House placed second in the tournament, and Dudley was third.

Farneti, Harvard's sophomore linebacker, completely dominated his bigger opponent, throwing lightning left jabs to the head and body and occasional roundhouse rights. But Mahoney stayed game for the entire bout, even after he was cut above the right eye in the second round. He kept right on stalking Farneti but ran into more punches than he landed.

The tournament's most crowd-pleasing bout was a slugfest between Tibbets and Winthrop's Woody Weiss in the 175-pound class. Tibbets, who mauled his way to the 175 title last year, looked like he might repeat for a while in the second round, as he pinioned Weiss on the ropes and flailed away.

Weiss, the pride of C-entry, absorbed the punishment, then outpunched Tibbets in the third round to gain a close decision.

Dudley's Bill Weeks, a former Golden Gloves champion, scored a first round TKO over Tim Cullen of Winthrop to retain the 155-pound intramural title he won last year.

Cullen Decked

A hard right hook dropped Cullen to the canvas, seconds after the fight began. Weeks peppered left jabs at his groggy opponent until the referee mercifully stopped the bout.

Lanky Walter Johnson temporarily maintained an upper hand against Leverett's John Ballantine, using his significant reach advantage. Midway through the first round, however, Ballantine's jabs began penetrating Johnson's defense.

A continuous barrage of punches sent Johnson dropping over the ropes and resulted in a TKO victory for Ballantine.

Adams's Bob Allen and Quincy's Kent Hales traded blows throughout their 185-pound title match. Allen held on longer to win a tight three-round decision.

Roger Guthrie of Eliot edged Winthrop's Rocky Grossman for the fly-weight championship. Gary Aronhalt of Dudley captured the 145-pound crown.