A Concession

(The following are excerpts from an article in the Boston Globe of Thursday, April 10.)

"Can anyone believe the Harvard SDS demands are made seriously?...How can one respond to allegations which have no basis in fact?" --President Pusey

Despite an apparent disclaimer from Harvard Pres. Nathan M. Pusey in the face of student protest, officials at the university and Affiliated Hospitals Center, Inc., reaffirmed yesterday that 182 apartments in Roxbury will be demolished to make room for a $50 million hospital complex.

Harvard spokesmen left unclear the intentions regarding an apartment building on University Road in Cambridge, which Harvard students have insisted not be torn down for construction of the Kennedy Memorial Library.

"It's possible," Franklin L. Ford, dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, declared in an interview when asked if the University Road property would be razed.

Pres. Pusey and his assistant, Charles P. Whitlock, have asserted Harvard has "no plans" for the building, which stands between Mt. Auburn St. and the 12-acre Bennett St. transit yards, the Kennedy library site.

"There won't be any Harvard building for any Harvard purpose," Dean Ford said of the residential property. "The only Harvard building (in the Kennedy development) will be several hundred yards from that site."

He said that "the title would have to be transferred to the government or the Kennedy library corporation" it the location were to be added to the Kennedy site.