Who's Lying About the Original Demands?

'No Basis in Fact'

(The following is a statement issued by President Pusey on Wednesday, April 9.)

CAN ANYONE believe the Harvard S.D.S. demands are made seriously?

The Faculty of Arts and Sciences voted that academic credit should not be given to ROTC courses and that ROTC officers should not be considered regular members of the Faculty. A committee appointed by the Corporation is working not to thwart this Faculty vote but to carry it out. The SDS demand that Harvard violate its contractual obligations bears not relation to the vote of the Faculty.

The questions of the bearing of student standing on financial aid is under consideration by the Committee on Admissions and Financial Aids and will be carefully discussed by the Faculty.

The question of replacing ROTC scholarships by other scholarships is not real issue, for this question would be resolved by the scholarship committees of the various faculties if and when the need for such consideration becomes a reality.

The other issues have nothing to do with ROTC. The rents charged for University-owned apartments are below those of the general market. At the moment indeed they are not sufficient to prevent this part of the University's endowment from being a drain on other funds needed to support Faculty, student aids an doher educational activity. There are no plans to tear down any apartments on University Road nor are any homes being torn down to make way for Harvard Medical School expansion.

How can one respond to allegations which have no basis in fact?

1. Abolition of ROTC.

2. Financial support to all students now getting ROTC scholarships.

3. Financial support to all students who had that support withdrawn for participatng in previous anti-ROTC demonstrations.

4. Harvard should roll back rents on all buildings that it owns to their level as of January 1, 1968.

5. No evictions at the University Road building. The building should not be torn down. Harvard is planning to use the site for political science library.

6. No evictions for the 182 black and white working class families living in buildings Harvard is planning to tear down to expand its Medical School facilities in Boston.