Business School

By Samuel Z. Goldhaber

More than 700 Business School students, faculty, and administrators met yesterday and narrowly passed a resolution "that this informal meeting deplores Harvard University's use of violence in clearing University Hall last Thursday morning."

The meeting was organized for discussion only, but the chair was overruled to bring the resolutions to a vote.

By an overwhelming voice vote, the meeting also demanded that the Student Association poll on whether to strike until the University student body voted to return to classes "be stopped immediately." The poll's wording was termed "misleading" and "easily misconstrued across across the river."

About a dozen first-year MBA students organized the meeting, which began at 1 p.m. yesterday in front of Baker Library.

Kenneth R. Andrews, Donald K. David Professor of Business Administration and a member of President Pusey's new special advisory committee, was hissed when he said. "The use of police force in a University community is to be deplored. The necessity of its use is even more to be deplored."

Andrews got even more boos when he added that the University was justified in using its "constitutionally-established counterforce to restore order."

Dean George P. Baker '25 was applauded when he said that the Corporation would not have to close the Business School along with other faculties of the University.

Peter C. Aldrich '68, a first-year MBA student, also received applause when he suggested "inviting Harvard undergraduates to come and help us understand what's going on." He said many in the College see the strike "as the only vehicle which can keep the newly-opened channels of communication responsive."

Another student was cheered when he said, "We are now more involved in the community around us than those people over there. They make more noise. We get more done."

There will be another Business School mass meeting this afternoon at 3:30 p.m. in front of Aldrich Hall to vote on whether to strike and other issues.