Annual Report Finds Harvard Kennedy School Faculty Remains Largely White, Male

Harvard Square Celebrates Oktoberfest

Harvard Corporation Members Donated Big to Democrats in 2020 Elections

City Council Candidates Propose Strategies for Supporting Low-Income Residents at Virtual Forum

FAS Dean Gay Hopes to Update Affiliates on Ethnic Studies Search by Semester’s End

Ed School

By Jeff Magalif

A general meeting of the School of Education community--including students, faculty, and staff--voted yesterday to condemn the police raid on University Hall and to demand total criminal and academic amnesty for all participants in the building's occupation.

The group also voted to deplore the violation of official files and the forcible eviction of deans in connection with the incident and refused to endorse either the occupation or the eight strike demands of SDS and Afro.

The five-hour meeting, which included over 400 people when it began in the Loeb Drama Center and about 150 when it reconvened in Longfellow Hall, decided to continue the moratorium on Ed School classes until Friday.

Meeting Today

The group will assemble again in Longfellow at 1 p.m. today to vote on such issues as ROTC, University expansion, and the governance of the Ed School. The School faculty is meeting at 9:30 a.m. on issues relating to University Hall.

The passed resolution condemning the violation of files included a statement "supporting the principle of action involved in the non-violent occupation of premises, which can promote the possibility of constructive change within this University."

Ian A. Robertson, teaching fellow in Education, suggested that the condemnation of file-entering also include "an expression of extreme interest in the documents which the files contained."

Euphemism for Thugs

Robertson introduced the resolution, adopted Monday night by the Ed School Student Cabinet, to "condemn both the sending of police onto campus and the manner in which the decision to call them was taken and the action conducted." In the United States, Robertson said, "calling in the police is a euphemism for calling in a bunch of people, predominantly thugs, to beat people on the head-violence is inevitable."

Phillip M. Whitten, president of the Student Cabinet, arguing for total amnesty, said that "before people can consider the political issues raised by University Hall, amnesty must be granted as an act of good faith to all those involved--including Pusey."