Crimson Golfers Win Third Match

The Harvard varsity golf team rolled to its third consecutive victory Friday, sweeping past Penn and Columbia, 7-0 and 7-0, at Stowacres Country Club.

The complete sweep came as a surprise to most members of the team. Last year Penn had upset them with a large number of sophomores on the team, and this year Penn was expected to be one of the major contenders for the Ivy crown.

Forced to play in driving rain and generally poor conditions, only Paul Oldfield maintained his pace of one under par through the last two matches as he downed his Columbia opponent on the 11th hold and the Penn stickman on the 15th.

Captain Bruce LoPucki, two and three down after the front nine, fought back on the second nine to defeat his Columbia opponent 5 and 4 and the Penn rival one up. Yank Heisler also, offset a bad first nine by dropping 25 and 30 foot putts. He disposed of the Quaker golfer by the 15th hold and wrapped up the match on the next hole.

Number three man, Jake Purdy defeated his opponent from Columbia 4 and 2 and the man from Penn, 5 and 4.

Steve Owen, two down after six holes, had to scramble over the rest of the course to defeat both his opponents, one up.