UNRADICAL COMMITTEE

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

The Radcliffe Redbook (p. 30) states that "Any (Radcliffe) student who is involved in the violation of rules of any other institution will come immediately under the jurisdiction of the Judicial Board." This Judicial Board is composed of nine members, four students, four deans and the President of the College who acts as Chairman and who uses her vote only in the event of a tie. I understand that in the case of the University Hall demonstrators, all of the students connected with Harvard wish to be punished as a group by the same body (or not punished at all as the seventh demand states). A ruling of the Radcliffe Judicial Board, if it has not yet been done, is then in order.

My main point, however, is to bring to the attention of the Harvard community how unradical the new Fainsod Committee's Committee actually is. Whether or not to allow students to sit on this committee was a controversial point and even those in favor of it may have had some doubts as to its results. Not only that, but students comprise only one-third of the committee, while Radcliffe's Judicial Board is half and half. I feel that this is an example of how Harvard students are being fooled into thinking that they have forced far-reaching concessions from the faculty and administration. Any small breach of precedent at Harvard is taken to be a radical change in the University, and any change at Harvard is seem by some to be a crack in the Ivy Wall that poses an immediate threat to its continued existence.

I am distressed by the fact that no Harvard students have expressed their dissatisfaction with the Fainsod Committee's Committee as it stands in contrast to Radcliffe's Judicial Board, especially since this Committee on which students sit was created only for this one violation and is not a permanent body. But I am overwhelmed by the fact that no Radcliffe girls have protested. Has everyone forgotten Radcliffe's existence? Just because our deans choose to remain silent, bowing before their suitor, choosing not to become personally involved in the brutal beating of their students, is no reason why we, as students, can't express our concern and advantages however, small, of not being part of Harvard yet, but we seem so anxious to live in Adams House that we have already let Radcliffe bite the dust. Sally Monsour '70