Alumni Magazine Editorial Attacks Pusey on Crisis

The editor of the Harvard Alumni Bulletin has sharply criticized President Pusey for his handling of the University Hall occupation and its aftermath.

John T. Bethell '54, in an editorial appearing in the April 28 issue of the Bulletin, said "President Pusey's blunt comments on ROTC played into the hands of those who sought to distort the Corporation's handling of the issue."

While agreeing that only use of police could get the demonstrators out, Bethell said that the administration failed to "rationalize [its decision] to an offended community."

Virtually Invisible

On the day of the bust, Bethell said, "President Pusey, other administrators, even members of the Corporation should have appeared on television to initiate a dialogue. Once established, the dialogue should have been kept up unremittingly through various media."

"Instead, the prime objects of the community's hostility (with the exception of Dean Ford, who did hold two press conferences) remained virtually invisible for a week, and hostility and suspicion fed on their invisibility," Bethell said.

He added that the Administration "underestimated the emotional effect of the raid on the University community."