Divided Track Squad Competes At Dartmouth and Penn Relays

Harvard takes part of its track team to Dartmouth today in quest of its third victory of the season, while the rest of the squad will be seeking laurels in the Penn Relays, which began yesterday in Philadelphia.

In yesterday's Penn Relays action, Harvard's Charlie Ajootian captured first place in the hammer throw, while a quartet composed of John Gillis, Tom Downer, Keith Colburn, and Royce Shaw won the heptagonal mile relay (consisting of the Ivy League plus Army and Navy). Bruce Hedendal, capturing fourth in the discus, was the only other Crimson performer to place.

Relay Teams

In today's competition, Colburn, Shaw, Tom Spengler and Dave Pottetti will form both two-mile and four-mile teams, and Richie Szaro may compete in the open javelin throw.

The Dartmouth meet could be trouble for the Crimson, since the core of Harvard's outstanding distance crew will be at the Penn Relays. "I'm a little restless about the meet," said coach Bill McCurdy, "but we were in the same situation last year and we won handily (113-41). To do that again this year, Tim McCloone, John Heyburn, and John Gorham will have to hold down the distance events for us."

Strong Weight Squad

In the absence of its distance stars, the Crimson will rely on its equally-strong weight squad to roll up the points. Dick Benka is almost a sure winner in the shot put, while Charlie Ajootian and Ed Nosal should be top threats in the hammer throw. Benka and Bruce Hedendal will be the leading contenders in the discus, and Henry Bernson and Frank Champi will head the javelin throwers.