Gatto Plans to Coach At Middlesex School

Harvard football great Vic Gatto, '69, will become head football and baseball coach at the Middlesex School in Concord, Massachusetts, starting next September.

Gatto accepted the position last Tuesday night, after the Brockton School board postponed consideration of a similar offer. "I had a committment to tell Middlesex of my decision [last] Tuesday night," Gatto said. "I was hoping to hear what Brockton would offer, but I couldn't wait any longer."

This job should be very good for me," Gatto said. "The facilities at Middlesex are excellent, and the football team went undefeated two years ago and lost only twice last year, so I should have a strong program to work with. Practically all of last year's lettermen will return this year."

Gatto is Harvard's all-time leading ground-gainer and second-leading scorer, having established both records last fall as he captained the Crimson to an undefeated season and the co-championship of the Ivy League.

He is the only player in Harvard history to have broken the 2000-yard rushing barrier, and his twenty career touchdowns and 120 points place him second in both categories behind Charlie Brickley who scored 215 points and 23 touchdowns in the 1912-14 seasons.