Harvard Meets Rams In Water Polo Match

The streaking Harvard water polo team faces Fordham at 2:30 p.m. today in the IAB, confident after a seventh-place finish in the AAU Championships and a 26-12 win over Brown on Wednesday.

Fordham is a definite underdog since the Crimson dunked the Rams, 16-8, in advancing to the semifinals of the AAU's. Crimson goalie Phil Whitten said last night, "I think we'll beat them by more this time since we'll be playing in a bigger pool, and they won't be able to score as easily." However, Harvard may be without the services of talented John Montgomery.

Brown moved to a 4-3 lead after the first quarter in Wednesday night's contest, but Harvard managed to earn a small advantage soon afterwards. The Crimson, playing without Montgomery and Leland Faust, exploded for seven goals in the first three minutes of the final quarter while preventing the Bruins from moving the ball past half court, to assure the victory.

Sophomore Tom McGill was again the high scorer for Harvard. He scored 14 times, and Dave Powlison, a star on the swimming team as well, collected five goals. Whitten played half the game, allowing only 3 goals and stopping 78.6 per cent of the Brown shots.

On the basis of its performance in the AAU Championships, Harvard is now rated number one in the East.