Moundmen Whip Lions In 6-0 Rout

NEW YORK -- Right-hander Bob Dorwart allowed only one Columbia runner to advance past first base, and Lion errors gave Harvard four unearned runs as the Crimson whitewashed Columbia, 6-0, yesterday at Baker Field.

The victory evened both teams' records after two games apiece in the Eastern Intercollegiate Baseball League. Now 7-5 overall, the Crimson travels to West Point this afternoon for another league contest.

Dorwart faced only 33 batters and held Columbia to just five singles, bringing his record to 3-1. Playing his finest game so far this year, captain John Ignacio smashed three of his team's eight hits.

Harvard jumped to an early lead in the first inning. Dan DeMichele walked with two out. As DeMichele broke toward second base on an attempted steal, Pete Varney lofted a towering fly ball in the infield. Second baseman Doug Watt misjudged the ball, and by the time it hit the ground, DeMichele was already to the plate.

Columbia errors triggered Harvard's three-run spree in the third. Pete Bernhard walked to lead off the inning and advanced on a wild pitch by losing pitcher John Heyel and an infield out by DeMichele. With two down, Varney hit a grounder to third that went between the legs of the Lions' Jim Alloy.

Ignacio doubled down the left field line to drive in Varney, and Bill Kelly followed with a single to right that gave the Crimson a 4-0 lead.

Infield Hits

Harvard added a single tally in the eighth without hitting a ball out of the infield. A walk and two infield hits loaded the bases with nobody out. Bill Cherry's grounder to second scored Varney. Pinch hitter Neil Hurley singled to right to drive home the final run in the ninth inning.

Today's game at Army matches the pre-season choices for top contenders in the EIBL. Coach Loyal Park has named southpaw J. C. Nickens, 4-2 this year, to start against the Cadets.