Netmen Win 31st Straight Over Lions in 9-0 Victory

NEW YORK--The varsity tennis team shut out Columbia, 9-0, yesterday in New York, downing the Lions for the 31st time without a loss. Only two of the matches went the full three sets.

Three of the matches featured comebacks, but the most amazing turnabout was by Chris Nielsen, the number five man. Nielsen, playing singles for the first time this year, was down 4-2 in the first set against Rhodes Scholar Dick Menaker. But the Crimson player rallied, winning the next ten games to take the match, 6-4, 6-2.

Terry Oxford, playing in the third slot, lost his first set, and trailed 4-2 in the second, with a 40-5 game score. He captured that game and went on to win that set and the one following.

Captain and top man John Levin triumphed in the first set, 6-4. But his Columbia opponent won six games in a row to earn the second set and even the match. The Crimson captain responded with a 6-2 win to capture the point for his team.

Rocky Jarvis coasted to his victory, 6-2, 9-7. Larry Terrell started very well, winning the first, 6-1. He rolled to a 5-1 advantage in the next set, but his foe refused to give up and battled Terrell to a 10-8 score before succumbing.

Harvard's Butch Kawakami, normally the number seven man played sixth yesterday and won with ease. Bill Washauer and Steve Devereux usually play singles, but did not against Columbia.

With a 6-0 lead after singles, Harvard had no reason to worry about the doubles. The number one team of Levin and Jarvis had no trouble. The second Crimson team of Washauer and Nielsen took their match, 6-4, 6-3, and Terrell and Oxford completed the whitewash.

The Lions are still looking for a win in the Eastern Intercollegiate Tennis League. They fell to both Navy and Princeton before losing to the Crimson.

The match at New York, however, was mostly a prelude to today's Harvard-Princeton encounter at Princeton. After winning over Columbia yesterday, Harvard coach Jack Barnaby said. "I'm very encouraged. I think we're as ready for Princeton as we'll ever be." The Tigers are undefeated and are rated the favorite in today's match.