Thinclads Whip Dartmouth, 119-34; Foursome Places in Penn Relays

Harvard's varsity track team swept by Dartmouth with ease Saturday, 119-34, while four other members of the team were finishing second in the four-mile relay at the Penn Relays in Philadelphia.

Even with the nucleus of its crack distance squad in Philadelphia, the undefeated Crimson had little trouble its third victory of the season. Tim McCloone filled in admirably in the mile and two-mile runs, winning both, in addition to finishing second in the 880-yard run.

Penn Relays

In the Penn Relays, a Harvard team of Keith Colburn, Dave Potteti, Tom Spengler, and Royce Shaw was edged in the four-mile relay by mighty Villanova, which won four of the five championship relay races in the two-day competition. Lead-off man Colburn gave the Crimson an early lead, but the Wildcats caught up in the second leg, and went on to win by 15 yards.

Christ Alvord, Walter Johnson and Dick Benka were also double-winners for Harvard, which captured a whopping 15 of 18 events for the day. Alvord won the 100-yard dash in 10.2 seconds and later scored a victory in the 220-yard dash with a 23.1 clocking. John Gillis's triumph in the 440-yard dash (49.0 sec.) completed a rare sweep in the sprints for Harvard.

Johnson leaped an excellent 47 ft. 2 3/4 in. to win the triple jump, and came back to capture the 120-yard high hurdles with a time of 15.2 seconds. He missed being a triple winner by inches as teammate Skip Hare edged him out in the long jump, 22 ft. 9 1/2 in. to 22 ft. 7 1/2 in.

The least surprising wins of the day were Dick Benka's in the shot put (55 ft. 2 in.), and discus (165 ft. 6 in.). The Crimson's Frank Champi, hero of The Game, was victorious in the javelin with a 205 ft. 5 1/2 in. toss, followed by teammate Bill Rosenburg with a throw of 176 ft. 5 in.

The remaining Crimson victories were turned in by Ben Lounsbury in the 440-yard hurdles (54.1), Pete Lazarus in the pole vault (13 ft. 6 in.), the 440-yard relay team (43.0 sec.), and the mile relay team (3:19.0).