Spikers Win Greater Boston Meet; Shaw Chosen 'Outstanding Athlete'

Eighth Straight GBC Win

The Harvard track team successfully defended its greater Boston crown yesterday at Boston College by racking up more than 150 points, almost three times that of the nearest challenger. The final score was Harvard--150 1/2, Boston College--53, Northeastern--46, Tufts--22, M.I.T.--14 1/2, Boston University--13, and Brandeis--4.

The Crimson took a 25-point lead after Tuesday's field events finals, and added ten victories yesterday to give them their overwhelming advantage.

Junior Royce Shaw was voted the meet's outstanding athlete after he captured both mile and 880-yard runs, in addition to anchoring the winning mile relay team. He teamed with Tom Spengler to produce 1-2 Crimson finishes in both the mile and 880, winning the mile in 4:08.3 and the 880 in 1:51.3.

Dave Pottetti, a former high school national champion, won the inaugural running of the 3000-meter steeplechase with a time of 8:54.6. edging M.I.T.'s Ben Wilson, the other pre-meet favorite. Wilson was foiled again in the three-mile run, another new event, by Harvard's Tim McLoone, who won in 14:04.0.

The Crimson dominated the hurdles events, sweeping the fist two places in both the 120-yard high and 440-yard intermediate races. In the 440's Ben Lounsbury won first place in a time of 53.3 seconds, followed by John Metzger. Metzger led teammate Walter Johnson across the line in the 120-yard high hurdles, winning in 14.6 seconds.

A Harvard foursome composed of John Gillis. Tom Downer, Keith Colburn and Royce Shaw ran a 3:16.5 mile relay to capture the meet's finale.

Six Field Wins

The Crimson won three of the four field events staged Wednesday, giving it a total of six field triumphs in the two-day competition. In Wednesday's action, Pete Lazarus, Ed Nosal, and John Avault triumphed for the Crimson, to go along with Dick Benka's, Richie Szaro's, and Jim Coleman's victories on Tuesday.

Lazarus jumped 13 ft. 6 in. to win the pole vault, Nosal took the hammer throw with a heave of 192 ft. 5 in., and Avault scored a triple jump triumph, leaping 45 ft. 9 1/2 in.

Harvard had little trouble winning the freshman competition, as the Yardlings outscored their nearest rival, Northeastern, 112-78. The Huskies held a six-point lead after the first day's competition, but five Crimson victories yesterday gave them the victory.

Jake Driscoll won both the shot put and hammer throw to lead the freshman weightmen. He was backed up by Spencer Dreischarf and Steve Anderson, who collected nine points in the discus with a 1-2 sweep.

Ed Diamond led the freshman runners winning the 100-yard dash and leading off the victorious 440-yard relay squad.