Stickmen Rout Crusaders, 17-3, In Warmup for Princeton Game

By Bennett H. Beach

The varsity lacrosse team rolled over Holy Cross, 17-3, with boring regularity yesterday to pick up its fifth win, but most players' thoughts were probably on Saturday's important game with Princeton.

John Ince and Phil Zuckerman collected a grand total of 17 points in yesterday's slaughter, in which the Crimson netted 10 goals before the Crusaders could get one by goalie John Cosentino. Cle Landolt scored two goals, and captain Tom Nicosia tallied two goals and one assist.

Almost five minutes had passed before Nicosia passed to linemate Jim Anderson for Harvard's first goal of the day. But the Crimson made up for lost time by throwing in seven more goals before the period ended. The fifth score was by "all-star" Charley Scott, who turned in a strong performance.

Complete Control

Bruce Regan, Zuckerman, and the colorful Gordy Grand were the Harvard marksmen in the second period, giving the Crimson its 11-1 halftime lead. "We played very well in the first half and were in complete control," said Nicosia, Meanwhile, Tony Cinastasi put in the big goal for the Crusaders.

The second half was less embarrassing for Holy Cross, but embarrassing nevertheless as Harvard reserves easily outclassed the Crusaders. Zuckerman contributed three of his team's six goals in the last two periods.

"We handled the whole situation very well," Nicosia said last night. "We controlled the ball and were not sloppy," he added. The passing continues to be impressive, and the Crimson picked up 13 assists.

The defense played well, too. Holy Cross did not mount a terribly potent attack, but when the chance presented itself, the Harvard defense cleared very capably, Nicosia pointed out. Goalie Kirby Wilcox, who saw almost no action earlier this season due to an injury, played the entire second half yesterday, and his performance was encouraging.

Princeton, 3-0 in the Ivy League, has established itself as the team to beat in the league this year. Yesterday the Tiger whipped Penn, 12-2.