Golfers Lose Eastern Crown Bad First Round Kills Hopes

A bad first round proved to be Harvard's downfall as they went on to lose their Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference golf crown at Ithaca Saturday. The Crimson came in fourth behind Princeton Penn State, and Colgate.

Harvard finished with a 786, fifteen strokes behind Princeton. Penn State had a final score of 777 while Colgate finished one stroke in front of the Crimson golfers. Scores are determined by summing the top five scores from each team.

In last year's Easterns, the Crimson golfers were able to pull out from a slow first round to win the exchampionship for the first time in forty years. This year, however, the Princeton squad started out strongly and never let up.

Heisler Stars

Yank Heisler led the Harvard quintet with a 155, thus qualifying for the individual competition. Heisler shot a nine over par 81 on the first qualifying round Saturday, but then chopped seven strokes off that in the second round to finish with his 155.

Playing in the individual competition yesterday morning, Heisler had a 1-up victory over Penn's Saturday's pattern by playing a terrible second match yesterday afternoon. He lost 3 and 2 to Mark Silverstein of Cornell. This loss disqualified Heisler from continuing in individual competition.

Jack Purdy and Barney Oldfield finished Saturday's competition with 157's, one stroke away from qualifying for individual competition.

Captain Bruce LoPucki shot an 81 on the round and a 77 on the second round to finish with a 158. Tommy Wynne, playing in his last Easterns, shot a 159, combining a first round 81 with a second round 78.

NCAA's Possible

Usually only the top three finishers in the Easterns are invited to the NCAA's. However, because the top three teams are all from the Eastern division, the Crimson golfers, who are in the North-eastern division, also received an invitation to compete in the national championships. Their chances of going depend on their last two matches against Dartmouth and Princeton. If Harvard wins both matches, the athletic department may allow the golfers to compete in the national tourney.