Varney, Kalinoski Stop Huskies, Clinch GBL Title For Harvard

Sophomore Pete Varney smashed a two-run homer in the sixth inning yesterday to break a scoreless deadlock, and Bob Kalinoski went the distance to protect the lead, as the Crimson nine defeated Northeastern 7-4 at the Kent Street Fields in Brookline.

The victory enabled Harvard to finish its Greater Boston League season undefeated in six games. Harvard needed a perfect record to edge Boston University, 7-1, for the league title.

Since the GBL was created in 1953, the Crimson nine has dominated the league with ten championship teams. Last year, Harvard split its six games and slipped to fifth place in the standings, but this season the GBL triumphs have been the few bright spots of the baseball team's 11-8 overall record.

After two opening singles right-hander Kalinoski yielded only one hit to Northeastern over the next eight innings. In his second complete game in as many starts, the senior hurler struck out ten Huskie hitters and allowed just three balls out of the infield.

Clouts Pellet

Right fielder Varney had one of his best days at the plate. He added two singles and a stolen base to his credit besides the 340 ft. clout down the left field line.

Perhaps the most encouraging statistic of an otherwise dull game was Harvard's scoring seven runs with only eight hits. Previously, the Crimson had lost several games because it left numerous runners stranded on base, but yesterday Harvard delivered the big hits when it needed them and left only four men in scoring position.

Neither team mounted a sustained attack through the first five innings as the combined squads totalled just six singles. In the sixth, Pete Bernard walked and Varney sent his towering blast far over the left field fence. Captain John Ignacio advanced to third on a fielding error and two stolen bases, and Bill Kelly walked before second baseman Bill Cherry delivered the needed single that brought both runners home and established a 4-0 lead.

The single hit that Kalinoski relinquished between the first and ninth innings drove in two runs in Northeastern's half of the sixth. After Kalinoski hit pinch-hitter Bill Shea and walked right-fielder Cam VanderVeer, Bob Geist singled into center to narrow the lead to two runs.

Brings Home Laurels

Kalinoski produced his own margin of victory in the eighth. Following walks to Ignacio and Cherry, the fastball artist tripled into the right field corner. An error by shortstop Dennis Crowley on a hard-hit ground ball allowed Kalinoski to score Harvard's seventh run.

With the game apparently wrapped up, Kalinoski showed signs of tiring in the ninth as he lost some of his speed and control. A walk issued to Tom Migliaccio and consecutive singles by Jack Freeman and Crowley scored two tallies. With two out, pitcher Jeff Sones singled to bring the tying run to the plate, but Kalinoski forced VanderVeer to ground out to short and saved the victory.