Social Relations Faculty Will Vote by Mail on 148

By Garrett Epps

The fate of Soc Rel 148-149 will be decided by a secret mail ballot of the Soc Rel faculty, which will probably be held at the end of this week.

The Soc Rel Faculty decided at a departmental meeting yesterday to hold the unprecedented mail ballot. Roger W. Brown, professor of Social Psychology and chairman of the department, said that the decision was made because of the division inside the department about whether or not to keep the radical course.

"The feeling in the department is so close to even that we could get an accidental majority in a department meeting," Brown said, adding, "I didn't feel we could deal with this problem on the basis of an accidental majority."

May Change Course

Brown said that a number of proposals for changes in the course procedure next year--if it is approved by the faculty--were made at yesterday's meeting. He declined to comment on individual proposals, saying that they would probably be changed before Thursday, when a faculty meeting will decide what questions will be printed on the ballot.

Brown said that the results of the voting would probably be known by Monday or Tuesday of next week.

'Restructuring Mess'

Jack R. Stauder '61, instructor in Social Anthropology and instructor for Soc Rel 149, called the faculty decision a "restructuring mess we should never have gotten into."

Commenting on the faculty proposals, Stauder said, "Some of the proposals would change it into a different course. If that happens, it won't be 149, and most of us will probably want to quit the course."