Annual Report Finds Harvard Kennedy School Faculty Remains Largely White, Male

Harvard Square Celebrates Oktoberfest

Harvard Corporation Members Donated Big to Democrats in 2020 Elections

City Council Candidates Propose Strategies for Supporting Low-Income Residents at Virtual Forum

FAS Dean Gay Hopes to Update Affiliates on Ethnic Studies Search by Semester’s End

Overseers Group May Recommend Structure Change

The Long-Range Study Committee appointed by the Board of Overseers issued a statement yesterday which said that "adaptation in University government and the organization of the faculties may be in order."

It also cited problems arising from student reaction to the Vietnam war and to "inadequate social and political responses" to the problems of the poor and of blacks.

The Committee also announced the Overseers' election of Mrs. Carl J. Gilbert, chairman of the Board of Trustees of Radcliffe, to the Committee and the appointment of Carl Kaysen, director of the Institute of Advanced Study at Princeton, New Jersey, as a consultant. Kaysen was formerly a professor of Economics at Harvard and an assistant to President Kennedy for national security affairs.

The five-member committee has been meeting for the last three days with the deans, the House Masters, and members of various faculty and student groups.

Complexity of Problems

The Committee's statement said that the meetings and the communications it has received have revealed "the complexity of the problems with which the University is confronted." It added that it plans to investigate problems beyond those immediately raised by the strike.

The Committee plans to investigate problems which may arise from "the increase of faculty and students, the widening and deepening of programs, the heightened recognition of the interdependence of various faculties, and the growth of plant and Budget."

The report of the Committee will probably not be issued until the fall.

"This is a time for thoughtful deliberations directed to reaching durable solutions," the statement read. "It must be obvious that such deliberations cannot be concluded in a matter of weeks or in an atmosphere of recurring crises and threats," it added.