Golf Team Winning Streak Halted; Dartmouth Conquers Crimson, 4-3

The Crimson golfers, fresh from losing their Easterns crown over the weekend, had another dream shattered yesterday as a strong Dartmouth team upset them, 4-3. This was only Harvard's second loss of the season, bringing a 12-match winning streak to an end.

This loss puts a heavy damper on any chances the golfers had of attending the NCAA's. A loss to Princeton would virtually eliminate Harvard's chances of competing in the national tourney. The final decision as to whether or not the golfers will go will be made by the Harvard athletic department.

Dartmouth sophomores proved too strong for the Crimson squad. Only one of four Indian sophomores lost. This was the fourth time in as many matches that the Big Green has won a 4-3 decision.

Dartmouth sophomore Marshall Gavre, an Easterns semifinalist, inflicted the most damage, handing captain Bruce LoPucki his first loss of the season, 4 and 3. After winning his first three holes, LoPucki fell apart, losing the next five. By the 12th hole it was evident that he was going to drop the match.

Yank Heisler, playing behind LoPucki, was the only Harvard golfer to defeat one of Dartmouth's talented sophomores. He needed only 15 holes to down Dave Hill, 4 and 3.

It took Jack Purdy 21 holes before he could win his match against veteran Indian, Sandy McWilliams. The lead seesawed for the entire match, ending finally when Purdy sank a putt for a par on the 21st green.

The other Harvard victory was recorded by Cooch Owen at the number seven position. Owen, a sophomore, showed no respect for his elders as he downed Dartmouth captain Barry Simpter, 5 and 4.

The crucial match, which could have give Harvard the victory, was Barney Oldfield's against Indian Jim Cox. Oldfield was 2 down with 3 to go on the 16th green. He had a 3-foot putt for a birdie and a possible win on the hole. A damaged green prevented his putt from falling in. Cox sank his putt for a birdie and defeated Oldfield, 3 and 2.

The Princeton match tomorrow will be Harvard's toughest match. Princeton is favored after winning the Easterns team and individual titles.