Student Petition Asks Examinations Boycott

A small group of undergraduates today will try to collect the signatures of two-thirds (4000) of the undergraduate community on a petition stating that, if and only if the desired number agrees, they will boycott their examinations.

The group is asking students who wish to help the drive to clip the advertisement on page six of today's CRIMSON, collect as many signatures as possible, and bring the names to Phillips Brooks House before 6 p.m. today. The group is called Numbers Opposed (NO).

The results of the poll will be distributed to Harvard dining halls and Radcliffe dormitories as soon as possible this evening.

The group is basing the drive on the arguments advanced by the Exam Boycott movement held earlier this term. "Exams are painful and pain should not be a part of learning," the group's spokesman said yesterday.

Students who signed the earlier petition must again submit their names in order to have their vote counted, he added, in order to simplify bookkeeping. The drive may be continued tomorrow depending on today's results. The group requests that all students submit their class.

"The pledge to boycott exams becomes effective only if two-thirds of the student body sign it," the spokesman said. "Students have nothing to lose--o one is going to get into trouble for doing what two-thirds of the Harvard-Radcliffe undergraduate body does."