Nine Faces Brown Today; May Be End of Comeback

Harvard's varsity nine travels to Providence this afternoon to face Brown in a game that could either continue the Crimson's comeback attempt in the Eastern Intercollegiate Baseball League or end all hopes for a pennant.

The Crimson, 2-2, has already lost twice as many games as it did all last year, but the league is very well-balanced and Harvard has yet to play the four teams ahead of it in the standings.

Dartmouth and Cornell are undefeated, but they haven't played each other yet, and theoretically, can both still lose to Harvard. Tied for third are Yale and Brown with 3-2-1 records. A Crimson victory over both of these teams would put Harvard right on the heels of the leaders.

Today's match with the Bruins is a toss-up. One of Brown's losses was a resounding 6-2 defeat at the hands of Princeton a team Harvard beat last Saturday 3-1. But the Crimson has dropped games to Pennsylvania and Army, and Brown had no trouble defeating either of these opponents.

The decisive factor in the game could be right-hander Bob Dorwart. The senior hurler has pitched the entire game in both of his last two outings. He has lowered his earned run average 37 points and now leads the team with 29 strikeouts.

For the first time all season, Harvard's line-up is clearly defined. Bill Cherry, who was originally the reserve second baseman, has won the starting spot by batting over 300, scoring six times, and driving in five runs in Harvard's last five games.

Two hockey stars appear to have broken out of their batting slumps. After starting the season with a 133 average through eight games, catcher Jack Turco has provided the key hits in the Crimson's last three victories.

Drought

Dan DeMichele, who began the season leading the team in all department and batting close to 500, ended a five-game hitting drought with an RBI single to left against Princeton last Saturday.

The Brown nine has already compiled the most wins of any Bruin team since 1924. The leading hurler on the team is sophomore right-hander Bob Thorley with a 2.32 ERA and five complete games to his credit.

The Bruins' hitting star has been pitcher-outfielder Bob Flanders. Also a sophomore, Flanders has a 3-3 pitching record and is second to Thorey with a 2.98 ERA. As a hitter, Flanders leads the Brown team with a .429 average.