Lacrosse Men Head for Hanover; play a Weak Dartmouth Team

By Bennett H. Beach

Coach Bruce Munro's lacrosse team travels to Hanover, N.H., for a game against Dartmouth Saturday with hopes of continuing its winning ways. The only problem against the weak Indians is over-confidence.

The situation tomorrow will be almost identical to last year's. A year ago, the Crimson had just upset league-leader Princeton, 10-9, for its first win over the Tigers in 43 years. Harvard grabbed a quick 2-0 lead against the Indians, but then sat back as Dartmouth went ahead, 4-3, by halftime.

The Crimson finally recovered and won, 11-5. But Harvard must be careful not to display similar laxity tomorrow after another upset of Princeton, 13-12. "We may be overconfident," said Bruce Regan, "but I think we'll play well again this week." The junior midfielder netted four goals in the 1968 Dartmouth game, while captain Nicosia registered a hat trick.

The Indians will be attempting to win their first league game since they topped the Crimson, 9-6, in 1966. They have lost 17 consecutive Ivy contests, but twice this year showed signs of breaking out of the slump. Dartmouth led Princeton, 2-1, after the first period two weeks ago before losing, 12-3. Against Yale, the Indians were on top, 5-4, after three quarters before the Elis won on three late goals.

Defense Adequate

Otherwise, there has been little reason for encouragement. Three veterans anchor a defense which is at least adequate, though it has shown a tendency to crumble late in the game, while the offensive attack is almost nonexistent. There are a couple of talented individuals, but the passing appears to be ineffective.

A probable reason for the Big Green's lack of success is the scarcity of players from Maryland and Long Island. Only two of the Indians live in Maryland and three on Long Island, while people from these two places make up almost half the rosters of most league teams.