A Soc Rel Project Aims to Cure Patients of Public Speaking Fears

A Harvard project this summer aims at curing fears of public speaking.

Through a treatment called systematic desensitization, a patient first learns deep muscle relaxation. Then, he imagines himself in a slightly frightening situation. When he feels completely calm, he moves up to a situation more anxiety-provoking. Ideally, he reaches the most terrifying level at the end of eight weeks and is able to control his fear.

The treatment is being offered by John Muller, Teaching Fellow in Social Relations, in order to gather information for his doctoral dissertation. Associate professor Bruce Baker and David Cohen, Teaching Fellow in Social Relations, started researching the treatment last summer. At that time, they treated 28 people for acrophobia (fear of heights) and reported that 60 to 70 per cent of them were much improved.

In an larger study done this January, Cohen advertised for subjects through newspapers, radio and TV. He received around 325 replies from people with acrophobia, public speaking anxiety, and claustrophobia. He then treated 48 of the acrophobiacs with apparent success, although the results have not yet been thoroughly analyzed.

In the research and treatment this summer, Muller hopes to "probe the various elements within the treatment itself." He will be working with 60 subjects frightened of public speaking. "Such phobias," he says, "can seriously hinder people in their careers."

Muller especially wants to get more student subjects for his studies this summer. "The kind of problems a student has in speaking in public are different from the problems an adult has in a working situation." he says, and points out that many students are hampered in their choice of courses and careers by this problem.