Posters Disappear--Who Is Responsible?

Posters placed around Harvard to advertise a speech by a United Auto Workers leaders have been systematically removed in an attempt to prevent students from learning of the speech, an official of the group sponsoring the speech charged yesterday.

On Friday afternoon, the posters were placed in every entry in the Yard dorms, in the Union, in Dudley House and in classroom buildings, according to Benjamin I. Ross '71, organizational secretary of the young People's Socialist League, the democratic socialist group sponsoring the talk.

By Sunday afternoon, however, none of the posters in buildings open over the weekend were still in place. "I know they've been taken down in all the dorms, in the Union, and in Lehman Hall," he said. "It's clear that someone wants to prevent students has to say about the present political situation."

The posters advertised a speech by Al Olerio, New England director of the United Auto Workers on "The Labor Movement and Social Change." The speech is scheduled for 8 p.m. Thursday, July 31 in Boylston Auditorium.

Ross declined to voice any suspicions on who took the posters down, but said that University officials had told him that they did not touch any of the posters.

The group's supply of posters is running out, he said, so they will "try sticking the remaining ones up in the Union and Lehman Hall and see how long they last.