A Harvie and His Summie Idle Through 'Holiday'

In case you hadn't already noticed, girls at the Summer School get educated in the smoke-filled apartments of Harvard students, not in the Yard classrooms.

That's the essence of a four-page article on the Summer School which appears in the July issue of Holiday Magazine.

"Nothing is left unchanged. Neurotic, studious looking Radcliffe girls with round, horn-rimmed glasses are replaced by 4-H Club cheerleaders from Miame U., and the all too serious self-involved Harvard student gives way to tackles and student body presidents from the Big Ten Colleges. Even the Revolution takes a break," writes Steve Lerner (Harvard '68), the author of the article.

However, all is not lost, Lerner goes on to say. A winter-time Harvard student in Cambridge fro the summer can always set himself up "as the unofficial guru of the poor underprivileged culturally deprived Summer School girl. In this capacity the Harvard student not only gives guided tours of Cambridge night life, but also becomes chief propagandist for and informal teacher of the Harvard life style."

So Lerner takes his readers along as Carol--a summie--and Tim--a Harvard student whom veteran observers recognize as a local movie impressario--wend their way from the Blue Parrot to Tim's Dana St. apartment and a happening on the Charles. Carol sends her circle pin skimming into the river.

On their excursions, the couple visit the newsroom of the Harvard CRIMSON--Summer News to you--where Carol finds fulfillment carrying coffee to the men in the press room.

Lerner's account of the visit to the 'Snooze' is good. It should be. He served as Executive Editor of the CRIMSON during 1967-68, and is now a writer for the village voice.