Seltzer To Do The Tiger Rag

By Frank Rich

Daniel Seltzer, professor of English and associate director of the Loeb Drama Center, has resigned from Harvard, effective at the end of this academic year. He will leave to take an appointment as professor of English at Princeton next fall.

Seltzer, known to most Harvard students as the teacher of Gen Ed courses in drama, is also the most prominent Loob actor and a tutor in Adams House.

At Princeton, he will teach courses in Shakespeare and other areas of drama, including the contemporary peroid. He says he hopes that his work at Princeton"will involve the slow implementation of courses in various aspects of theatre, as the university budget and other considerations allow." Such courses would not affect in any way Princeton's active extra-curricular theatre, he added.

Good Opportunity

"I know that there are many good solutions to the problems of theatre in a university," he said last week, "and I will be glad of the opportunity at Princeton to work hard in an area of teaching I feel ought to be a legitimate part of any modern curriculum-and also to continue teaching in a departmental situation."

Seltzer said that the already existing Creative Arts Program at Princeton "would probably be the administrative area most suitable for developing courses in theatre-but many details won't be arranged until next year, and very likely until the years following."

He also hopes to work in close con-nection with Princeton's McCarter Theatre "to develop the program of this company in such a way as to bring it into closer connection with the university's educational goals." In line with this he will be speaking with many people at Princeton during this year, although"many special arrangements can't be made until a year from now."

During his last year at Harvard, Seltzer will teach a freshman acting seminar and English 222 ("Conventions of Character in Renaissance Drama") in the fall.

Last Hum 105

In the spring. Seltzer will teach two Humanities courses in drama, including his famous workshop course, Hum 105. He will also teach an English seminar in post-war drama.

William Alfred, professor of English and author of the play Hogan's Goat, said yesterday that Seltzer's departure will be"a very terrible loss to all of us," but expressed confidence that courses such as Hum 105 would not die here because of the "growing and real interest" in theatre at Harvard.

Seltzer became an instructor at Harvard in 1959, received tenure in 1965, and was named a professor last spring. After receiving his B. A. at Princeton in 1954, Seltzer studied for a year at Oxford before pursuing his graduate studies.