Annual Report Finds Harvard Kennedy School Faculty Remains Largely White, Male

Harvard Square Celebrates Oktoberfest

Harvard Corporation Members Donated Big to Democrats in 2020 Elections

City Council Candidates Propose Strategies for Supporting Low-Income Residents at Virtual Forum

FAS Dean Gay Hopes to Update Affiliates on Ethnic Studies Search by Semester’s End

Dean Baker Will Retire Next Year

By Samuel Z. Goldhaber

George P. Baker '25, dean of the Business School, will retire next year.

If President Pusey can find a successor to Baker by December, Baker will take a six-month sabbatical and let the new dean take over Jan. 1,1970. Otherwise Baker will retire June 30 of next year.

Baker became an instructor at the College in 1928. Eight years later, he joined the Faculty of the Business School.

Under the Baker administration, which began in 1962, the Business School increased the size of the MBA (Master of Business Administration) program by 15 per cent and the size of the Faculty by 30 per cent.

During the past seven years the Business School more than doubled its number of endowed professorships. Gifts from alumni reached $1 million during his administration.

Executive Organization

In 1967, Baker was appointed to the President's Commission on Postal Organization. He is currently a member of President Nixon's Advisory Council on Executive Organization.

Baker privately told the Business School Faculty last winter that he planned to retire at the age of 66. Administrative officers, including deans, normally retire at the end of the academic year in which they celebrate their 66th birthday.

Pusey has asked the Business School Faculty for suggestions for a new dean and generally for improvements in the school. Many Faculty members have reportedly answered Pusey's request already.