Cornell Defeats Stickmen, 3-1, To Take Sixth Ivy Hockey Title

By John L. Powers

Even in the final moments of Saturday night's hockey game at Watson Rink, when it became apparent that undefeated Cornell would beat Harvard for the ninth consecutive time since 1966, the "We're Number One" chant that has traditionally signaled a Big Red triumph at Cambridge, was never heard. The usual white handkerchiefs were never waved.

For when Cornell skated off the ice with a 3-1 victory, and, most likely, the Ivy title in its pocket, it also carried with it the knowledge that it no longer dominates the East, either psychologically or physically, the way it has in the past. The Crimson proved that Saturday.

Harvard skated with the powerful Big Red as few teams have done this season, harassed the flying Cornell forwards unmercifully with superb back checking and tight defense, and stayed in contention until the final minutes of the game, when the Big Red broke the contest open on the power play.

But there was little of the post-game exultation and Harvard-baiting that has characterized visiting Cornell crowds in the past. A close game with the Crimson in the ECAC finals last March planted the seed of a doubt-perhaps the Big Red could be had by an Eastern team, even with Ken Dryden in the goal-and when mediocre Brown pushed Cornell into overtime last month, the doubt became a real apprehension.

So the Crimson designed a special strategy for Cornell, and carried it, out almost to perfection Saturday night. By playing tight defense close to the blue line, by leaving a forward back to harass Cornell rushers, the Crimson hampered the powerful Cornell attack, frustrated the Big Red on the power play, and stayed within a goal of the Ithacans for almost the entire game.

But two defensive mistakes gave the Big Red two goals, and partially because of the defensive-oriented strategy. Harvard was unable to mount a sufficient offensive attack to get them both back.

With the graduation of All-American goaltender Dryden, the Big Red keeps its defensemen back quite a bit more than they were accustomed to last winter. and. consequently, it is almost more difficult to score on them. Harvard managed only eight shots on goalie Brian Cropper in the first period, only seven more in the second.

But within the same amount of time, the Big Red had unloaded 29 upon Crimson goaltender Bruce Durno, and the 5'6" junior, who had to come up with the best night of his Harvard career to keep the Crimson in the game, did just that.

Durno was magnificent, kicking out shots that made Cornell forwards skate, tight-lipped, back to the bench and a scowling coach Ned Harkness, and stuffing three breakaways. He made 25 saves in all, and with ten minutes remaining, Cornell was still leading only 2-0.

And by now. Harvard was beginning to crack the stiff Big Red defense and battle it up in its own end. With ten minutes remaining in the game, forward Red Jahncke, who was not on the dressing squad in the early part of the season, flipped a shot past Cropper, and the sold out Watson crowd went into tumult.

But Harvard was penalized soon after, and after killing Cornell's advantage successfully, was penalized again. This time. Cornell scored from several feet in front, and it was over.

But if Harvard's Ivy hopes were virtually ended, so was the Cornell myth of invincibility. The Ithacans are within the reach of at least four Eastern teams this winter, and the Harvard strategy last weekend may have shown the way to dump them.