Yale Could Go to Court In Jack Langer Dispute

By Bennett H. Beach

Yale may take the NCAA to court to decide whether or not Jack Langer's religious freedom was violated by the NCAA's ruling that he is ineligible this season as a result of his participation in last summer's Maccabiah Games, a Jewish-sponsored event.

There has been no official announcement of Yale's legal intentions, but there are indications that action may be taken. "I hope they do." said Harvard track coach Bill McCurdy last night. Like coaches Edo Marion and Bob Harrison, McCurdy was very unhappy with the NCAA's handling of the affair.

But while Yale-which has been placed on probation for two years-may go to court, there has been no response from the Ivy League or from other member colleges. Before the probation decision, the Ivy presidents issued a statement which said that they supported Yale and "were in sympathy."

No action has followed, however. It may be that the eight presidents have been unable to devise a plan less extreme than a two-year withdrawal, which they probably feel has too many drawbacks. Yale said that it did not wish the other Ivy schools to withdraw from the NCAA because too many athletes would suffer.

"I wish that the Ivies would take as strong a stand as possible," McCurdy said. "If I thought withdrawal would be effective, I'd be for it. But I don't know at this point if it would," he added.