Harvard and Radcliffe Will Hold Joint Exercise at Commencement

Cliffies-in a step toward the total merger of Harvard and Radcliffe scheduled for 1970-will join Harvard for Commencement Exercises in Harvard Yard this year.

Although Radcliffe graduates have received a Harvard degree since 1963, until this year they attended separate Commencement Exercises in Radcliffe Yard.

President Pusey announced yesterday that the Cliffies will join Harvard seniors and degree-candidates of the graduate schools in the annual exercises June 11.

Radcliffe seniors will receive their actual diplomas individually at the customary Radcliffe exercises in Radcliffe Yard at noon on Commencement Day. Harvard seniors receive their diplomas individually at lunchtime ceremonies in the ten Harvard Houses.

According to University Marshal William G. Anderson, the Cliffies will join in the Commencement Procession from the Old Yard to the Tercentenary Theatre, and Radcliffe class officers and candidates for highest honors will join the leaders of the Harvard class who "draw near" when the baccalaureate degrees are conferred.

Radcliffe seniors will also be encouraged to compete for the traditional Commencement parts-formal speeches, one in Latin and one in English, given by members of the baccalaureate class. The Parts symbolize the custom of earlier Harvard Commencements, when seniors defended theses in public before receiving their degrees.

Like Harvard degree candidates, the Radcliffe women will be entitled to tickets to the Commencement Exercises for members of their families.

Suggested by Cliffie

According to Mary I. Bunting, President of Radcliffe, the request for a joint Commencement was first brought to her this Fall by Karen M. Nelson '70.

The proposal then went to Pusey, and to the Radcliffe College Council, Radcliffe's official governing body, who formally asked the approval of the Harvard Corporation. The idea of a joint Commencement was suggested three years ago, Mrs. Bunting said, but was turned down by Pusey and the Corporation.

"Probably the feeling now is that merger is coming along, so it's all right to do," Mrs. Bunting said yesterday.

A joint Commencement is not the only sign of the prospective merger The Harvard Corporation has also authorized the experimental coed living plan for the Spring term, approved by the Faculty in December.