Matmen To Resume Action Against Engineers Tonight

By Robert Decherd

Another unexpected problem confronts the beleaguered Harvard wrestling team as it returns to action tonight against M. I. T. at 8 p. m. in the IAB.

Sophomore Dave Scanlon (190), undefeated in four matches, is out for at least a week with a boil on his leg, and Harvard coach John Lee is having to read-just his heavyweight alignment to compensate.

Tony Rayner and Mark Faller will move up one weight class to 191 and 177, respectively. Bart Harvey, "a very capable performer" according to Lee, will replace Faller in the 167-pound class.

Lee had originally planned to move Faller for M. I. T. and the Cornell match Saturday, but he was not prepared for Scanlon's absence. "We don't have any choice but to move Rayner up," Lee said yesterday.

M. I. T. defeated the Crimson matmen, 26-16 and went on to a 15-2 record last season but six starters are gone from the 1969 Engineers. "Tech is the only team that we wrestle that is not as strong as they were last year" Lee said.

Forget It

Lee plans to forfeit the 134-pound class for the second consecutive time tonight Captain Paul Catinella (142) will not make weight at 134 until February, if at all, and his replacement at 142. Pete Everts has not been able to make weight as yet.

Tom Schnorr (118) and Steve Monsulik (126) will start again, but Lee commented, "M. I. T. should beat us in those first two bouts." Colin Mangrum and Dean Sheppard held a wrestle-off yesterday to determine the starter tonight in the 158-pound category.

The Christmas layoff should not greatly affect the Crimson's performance against M. I. T., as most of the team worked out or wrestled in tournaments during the holidays. The matmen returned last Friday night to resume practice and held sessions on Saturday and Sunday.

Faller won the 177-pound class in the holiday tournament at M. I. T. and Sheppard finished third in the 158-pound competition. Sheppard also finished third in the C. W. Post tournament on Long Island.

The Crimson matmen will be going for their first win since December 10 tonight, having lost their last two matches to Franklin and Marshall and Massachusetts.

After the Cornell match in Ithaca Saturday, the team will be off for three weeks until a quadrangle meet at Virginia Tech on January 31. Lee expects Scanlon to return by then and is hoping that Catinella and Everts will make weight.

The Yardling grapplers meet the M. I. T. freshmen tonight in a preliminary match beginning at 6:30 p. m. in the IAB.