Coach Denies Powers' Charges

(The following is a letter mailed November 10 to the CRIMSON by Robert J. Kane, the athletic director at Cornell University. It was not printed earlier because the original copy was lost, We apologize for the delay.)

To the editors of the CRIMSON:

The CRIMSON article written by John L. Powers on October 23 accused Cornell University and its hockey coach of violating Ivy practice rules, and this is to state unequivocally there was not one word of truth in it. Let me reply briefly to the several accusations.

1. Cornell did not practice hockey on Saturday morning, October 18. In fact, there was no one on the Lynah Rink ice Saturday morning, October 18. I repeat: no one. The rink was not open until Saturday evening and then specifically for recreational skating. Why don't you check with the Harvard varsity soccer players? They dressed in Lynah Rink Saturday morning for their game at 11:30 a. m. which took place on an adjacent field.

2. Ned Harkness has an office in Lynah Rink but he was not there Saturday morning, October 18.

3. The Cornell hockey team did not practice before the permissible date of October 22.

4. Cornell does not violate Ivy rules, nor ECAC, nor NCAA rules.

This was a bum rap, Mr. Powers and the Harvard CRIMSON, The irresponsibility of it is appalling.