Sailing Team Wins Greater Boston; Reeve Finishes Second in A Division

By Bradford B. Kopp

Harvard's sailing team finished off the Columbus Day weekend Monday with a victory in the Greater Boston Dinghy Championships on the Charles, after finishing a disappointing fourth in the Danmark Trophy Saturday and Sunday at Coast Guard.

Abbott Reeve's duel with M. I. T.'s Peter Nesbeda in Division A of the two regattas highlighted the weekend Reeve won his division over the weekend with Nesbeda finishing third, but on Monday the roles were reversed as Nesbeda won by one point after Reeve fouled out of one race after taking four firsts.

Nesbeda just returned from Europe, where he placed fifth in the International Tempest Championships.

Three Boats

Harvard's three boats in the three divisional Dinghy Championships consisted of Reeve and Doug Libby, Charlie Koch and Dave Little, and captain Joe Worth and John Roberts. All three were second in their respective divisions.

Harvard tied with M. I. T. early in the day, broke away to win the regatta and the Oberg Trophy with 45 points. The Engineers were second with 48 and Tufts was third with 51.

"The light wind was perfect yesterday for Abbott because he is small." coach Mike Horn said last night. "He should have won, but he chose a risky tactic, and he fouled out."

In the Danmark Trophy in Division A Reeve, with Phil DeNormandie as crew collected four firsts to take the low-point skipper honors by ten points. In Division B Worth, with Rudd Istvan as crew, took seventh.

Two Skippers

Coast Guard's two skippers, way ahead with two races to go, had disastrous final finishes to drop the Cadets to third overall with 94 points. The University of Rhode Island was first with 78 points to 92 for M. I. T. The Crimson was fourth with 98 points.

The sailing team's weekend also included two minor regattas in which the Crimson took a second and a third.

In a hexagonal at Yale Saturday Doug Allen and George Putnam took a second in Division A, while Steve Glovinsky and Doug Libby finished fourth in Division B to put the Crimson behind first-place Yale by only one point.

Putnam and Libby in Division A and Dave Brownlee and John Roberts in Division B survived cold, stormy conditions on the way to third in a regatta at B. U. on Sunday.

The Harvard freshmen hosted a regatta on Saturday and B Division skipper Henry Harnischfeger garnered four firsts in four races to lead the Crimson to a first place. The next day the Yardlings could only manage a sixth in a regatta at Tufts.