Crimson Water Polo Team Stretches Unbeaten String

The Harvard Water Polo Club began the defense of their New England championship by tacking three season-opening victories onto last year's undefeated record.

Tufts fell 22-9 on October 14, and a Yom Kippur dual match produced a 16-5 win over Northeastern and a 23-11 triumph over Brown.

No Competition

Playing without coaches, with little practice, and without co-ordinated team work, the Crimson swimmers have swept through inexperienced competition by wide margins.

"About the only team in the east that's our caliber is Yale," commented Mike Graff, and last year's records seem to verify his observations. Harvard swept to the New England Tournament Championship by wide margins and Yale was the eastern representative to the national tournament.

The showdown for the two powers this year is November 21, and both should be undefeated.

On October 21, Harvard will battle M. I. T. in preparation for the Greater Boston Championships the following weekend, which the Crimson will host in the IAB.

Water Polo Club President Steve Rennard, who has been dividing goalie duties with soccer player Peter Keries, was "surprised" by his team's performance. "The players come from all parts of the world and play different styles of the game, coaching themselves," he added.

The seven-man team is bolstered by two outstanding freshmen from California Peter Hersh and Peter Kellog-and one from the Philippines-Phil Jonkeer. The West coast is traditionally better water polo country.

Unalarmed by sloppy play early in the season, graduate student Norm Whitney summed up the team's prospects. "If we can manage to play some good water polo together, we can have a successful season."