Marinaro Named Ivy's Top Back: Harvard Trails in Team Statistics

By Robert Decherd

Cornell's Ed Marinaro-the nation's leading collegiate rusher-has been named Ivy League "Back of the Week" for his clutch performance in the Big Red's 32-31 victory over Penn last Saturday.

The 6' 3", 210 pound junior carried 35 times for 190 yards against Penn, but it was just three of those runs that prevented Cornell from being upset.

The three carries totaled 70 yards and accounted for two touchdowns.

With the Quakers leading, 17-3 in the first half, Marinaro cut off right tackle and powered his way 36 yards for the first Big Red touchdown.

Later, when Penn had taken a 14-point lead in the fourth period, he drove over from the one for a score, then ran for a two-point conversion to narrow the margin to 31-25.

Cornell scored the deciding touchdown late in the final stanza after Marinaro raced 33 yards to the Penn 40-yard line. From there quarterback Rick Furbush hit tight end John Bozich with a 40-yard pass to tie the score. The extra point by John Killian was good.

Marinaro's effort upper his season rushing total to 601 yards in three games. He has carried 97 times in those games for a per game average of 200.3 yards. The All-Ivy tailback has also scored eight times for the Big Red.

Following its opening loss to Columbia last Saturday in New York. Harvard did not fare too well in the Ivy League statistics released yesterday.

Sophomore flanker Bill Craven is the top individual performer, ranking third in pass receiving behind Columbia's Jesse Parks and Penn's Bruce Batch. Craven snagged six passes for 83 yards and one touchdown while playing just over a half.

Classmate Rod Foster is tenth in passing and seventh in punting.

The Crimson defense ranks fourth behind Dartmouth, Yale and Brown, while the offense is a dismal sixth, just ahead of Princeton and Brown.