Cliffe Sailing Team Wins Its Third Intercollegiates

By Bradford B. Kopp

Radcliffe's sailing team, turning in clutch wins in the final race, won the Women's National Intercollegiate Sailing Championships last June for the third straight year.

Oaptain Sandy Storer, wife of former Harvard captain Jeff Storer, combined with Barbara Grant to pull out first place in Division A, while Lisa Fulweiler and Janice Stroud finished second in Division B.

Going into the twelfth and last race, the Cliffe held first place over M.I.T. by a slim three-point margin, and then got come-from-behind victories in each division to clinch the title. The Crimson was first with 251 points to 241 for M.I.T. and 239 for the University of Southern Carolina.

"Before the regatta we were worried because the races were held in the Naval Academy's 14,foot Skipjack Class sloops," coach Mike Horn said. "Not all of the girls had experience with this type of rig, and we were afraid they might have some trouble adjusting."

Storer collected three firsts and four seconds on her way to high-skipper honors, while Fulweiler took one first and five seconds.

The New England Women's Intercollegiate Single-Handed Sailing Championships opened the Fall season on September 12, and Fulweiler, captain for 1970-71, and Toby Kellog survived the first day's qualifications. The two ended up a disappointing sixth and twelfth respectively.

In the Captain's Cup held last Saturday at Jackson College, Radcliffe led going into the last race, but lost the regatta to perennial rival M.I.T.

Radcliffe struck back the next day, though, with a victory in a one divisional pentagonal regatta at Boston University, The Fulweiler-Stround combination garnered two first, one second, and one third to hold off M.I.T. for first place.

Horn coaches both the Harvard and Radcliffe sailing teams, who practice at the same time, and his wife. Nancy, a former Radcliffe sailor, helps tutor the Cliffies.