Rally Supports Kent State Students

Over 200 protestor rallied in Government Center yesterday afternoon to denounce the indictment of 25 persons, mostly students, in connection with the shootings at Kent State last May.

Afterwards, a large contingent marched on the Canadian consulate to demand an end to martial law in Quebec.

Speaking at the rally organized by the Student Mobilization Committee, Chick Canfora, a former Kent State student and one of the 25 indicated Friday by the special Ohio grand jury, said "violence is a means of protest but only after all peaceful methods have been exhausted."

When the march reached the Canadian consulate, Henry Lowi, a Canadian studying at Boston University, called for an end to government repression here and in Canada and demanded freedom for political prisoners arrested in Canada as a result of the War Measures Act.

The SMC plans to continue its anti-war protest and its support of those indicated at Kent State with a day of massive demonstrations on Oct. 31.

The Ohio grand jury last week blamed Kent State students for provoking the shooting in which four students were killed, explaining that "the level of verbal abuse directed at the Guardsmen by the students... represented a level of obscenity and vulgarity which we have never before witnessed."