Bomb Scares Clear Buildings at B.U.

By Garrett Epps

Boston University has been hit by 33 bomb scares since last Wednesday.

The bomb scares, which began the morning after the bombing at the CFIA, have disrupted classes and examinations and forced repeated evacuation of four dormitories-700 Commonwealth Ave. and the three West Campus Towers-which house nearly 3000 of BU's 17,000 students.

Tuesday, B.U. police evacuated the university's School of Public Communication, the Sherman Student Union, and College of Liberal Arts after receiving phoned threats. That night, bomb scares cleared all three of the West Campus Towers, where 2500 students live, as well as Standish Hall, another dormitory.

Yesterday, threats disrupted classes once at the Sherman Union, once at the College of Basic Studies, once at the School of Fine Arts, once at the SPC and twice at the CLA, and once at the 700 Commonwealth Ave. dorm.

Acting BU President Calvin B.T. Lee stated Tuesday that evacuations will be ordered whenever threats are received because "at this time we believe that we have a responsibility to clear buildings when there appears to be a possibility of real danger for students and faculty."

Student resentment at the incessant interruptions has grown during this week-when evacuations have averaged six a day-and yesterday a group of 25 students issued a "manifesto" stating that they will remain in buildings which receive bomb threats and urging others to do the same.

Another group of students have scheduled a rally against the disruptions for noon today.

Rumors are rife on the campus that BU-which closed a week early lastspring because of a rash of false fire alarms and firebombing threats-may close within a month.

But early this week, Lee replied to a letter from a group of students calling on him to keep the University open by saying, "I shall certainly do everything within my power to insure that the University's educational processes will continue."