Crimson Freshmen Defeat Indians in Football, Soccer

The Harvard freshman football team beat Dartmouth, 24-13, yesterday on a muddy field in Cambridge. The Yearling soccer team also won, defeating the Indians, 4-0.

The Dartmouth football team scored in the first quarter on a four-yard run by Curtis Rowe. Jack Thomas converted to give Dartmouth a 7-0 lead.

After the first Green score, neither team moved the ball effectively. Harvard had only 34 yards total offense in the first half.

Midway through the third quarter the Crimson finally scored on a one-yard sneak by quarterback Jim Stoeckl. The play followed a pass interference call against Dartmouth in the end zone. Stoeckl's pass for two points fell incomplete.

In the fourth quarter the Yearling defense took charge. The defense forced two Dartmouth turnovers, which were converted into scores.

After the defense held the Indians on the Dartmouth ten yard line, cornerback Mark Sullivan broke through to block the punt. Two plays later, Ted Schick scored and added the two point conversion to put the Crimson ahead, 14-7.

Following the kickoff, Rowe scored on a 16-yard run. The extra-point kick was blocked by defensive end John Thomas.

Big Play

On the next Dartmouth series, Sullivan again made the big play for the Crimson, as he intercepted a pass on the Indian 45. Schick scored on the first offensive play with a 38-yard run over left guard. Bruce Tetrick's kick made the score 21-13.

Sullivan, Thomas and defensive tackle Mitch Berger led the Harvard defenders. Schick was the leading rusher with 72 yards in 12 carries.

Booter Win

The freshman soccer team beat Dartmouth by scoring four goals on a wet, sloppy field.

The Crimson scored two goals in the first period. Bryan Fearnett scored at 2:17 with an assist from Steve Miller. Felix Adedeji added another goal at 9:10, with no assist.

After a scoreless second period, Mike Ate converted a penalty shot at 3:42 of the third quarter. in the fourth period Adedeji put in his second goal to give Harvard a 4-0 margin of victory.

"We completely dominated the game," coach Dana Getchell said. "Despite the greasy field, we scored a lot but only gave them four shots."