Goodell Remains in Race

By Jeffrey D. Blum

(Special to the CRIMSON)

NEW YORK-Sen Charles E. Goodell (R-N.Y.) went on statewide television last night to scotch rumors that he will withdraw from the Senate race in favor of his Democratic opponent, Rep. Richard L. Ottinger because a Daily News poll showed Goodell running third.

The Daily News-whose poll has predicted the winner in 26 of the last 30 elections-reported yesterday that Conservative James L. Buckley was leading the race with 37 per cent, with Ottinger at 30 per cent and Goodell last at 24 per cent. Many liberals and moderates have been a waiting the poll before deciding whether to vote for Ottinger or Goodell.

Goodell, with circles under his eyes from late-night conferences with his aides, said that he had "anguished" over remaining in the race, because it might allow Buckley's election. He said he decided to stay since it would be "wrong to yield to the forces of the right."

Vice President Agnew has recently made searing attacks on the senator, and last week President Nixon declined to support Goodell and all but endorsed Buckley.

"What they want most of all is to see that I am not elected." he said.

Goodell authored the first bill inCongress that would have legislated an end to the Vietnam war. He has also opposed the Nixon Administration on the ABM and the Clement Haynsworth and G. Harrold Carswell nominations to the Supreme Court.

Goodell said he doubted the accuracy of the Daily News poll, referring to polls taken by Ottinger and his own polling firm, These surveys, he said, showed all three candidates running closely together with a large number of undecided voters. "If everyone votes for me who wants me back in the Senate-ignoring party lines-I will return to the Senate," he said.

After the speech, Goodell headquarters was deluged with hundreds of calls from well-wishers and contributors. Today's New York Times contains an editorial supporting Goodell's decision to stay in the race.