Radcliffe Sailors Win Major Event

By Bradford B. Kopp

The Radcliffe sailing team won the Man-Labs Trophy Saturday and Sunday at M. I. T. to finish ahead of the Engineers for the first time in four weeks.

The Man-Labs Trophy is symbolic of the Fall New England Women's Championship, and Radcliffe's victory is particularly significant because M. I. T. has won four of the six major regattas this Fall, with the Crimson finishing second or third.

Radcliffe captain Lisa Fulweiler, with Janice Stroud as crew, was low-point skipper in Division A and pulled off an upset against M. I. T.'s Kathy Jones, a four-year Division A skipper who has been dominating most regattas this Fall.

Smart

"Lisa sailed the smartest regatta I have ever seen her sail," said coach Mike Horn. "In some races she did everything just right. She won one race by two and a half minutes, and an average race is 25 minutes. That's ten per cent faster than anyone else- something that doesn't happen very often," Horn added.

Fulweiler collected five firsts and three seconds in the 11 races to run away with her division. Jones managed only one first and had only average results in the other races to end up third.

In Division B Radcliffe's Barbie Grant finished third with 41 points, as M. I. T.'s standout skipper Maria Buzzupo won the division. After Saturday's races Grant was in second place, only two points behind Buzzupo. But Buzzupo pulled away on Sunday as her experience in M. I. T.'s Tech Dinghies showed in the stiff winds that came up.

Grant was hindered by the absence of her co-skipper Toby Kellogg, who was ill. Ann Peterson crewed for Grant on Saturday and Kathy Angell on Sunday.

Radcliffe was first with on 68 points to 78 for M. I. T. Boston University and Skidmore were third and fourth respectively.