Judge Bans House Report As a Blacklist of Speakers

Declaring that an official Congressional Committee report on campus speakers was issued "solely for the sake of exposure or intimidation." U. S. District Judge Gerhard A. Gessell yesterday prohibited its public distribution by the government.

The report, listing 65 "militant, radical, and Communist-oriented" speakers, concludes three months of investigation by the House Internal Security Committee, successor to the House Un-American Activities Committee.

In July, the HISC asked over 200 universities including Harvard for a list of all outside speakers who had appeared on campus during the last two years. It also asked how much each speaker was paid and who paid him.

In response to the Committee's questionnaire, Charles P. Whitlock, assistant to President Pusey for Civic and Governmental Relations, said that Harvard was "unable" to furnish any information.

"Matters such as who is invited to speak and whether the speaker is paid (and if paid, what amount), are wholly within the control of student organizations," he said.

According to another HISC report issued earlier this month, the campus speaking circuit helps finance "promoters of disorderly and revolutionary activities among students."

"The report of the HISC is without any proper legislative purpose and infringes on the Constitutional rights of individuals named therein," Gesell said.