Crone May Be Considered For Duty at Running Back

By Robert Decherd

No significant change in personnel was evident Monday as the Crimson went through a 50-minute workout in sweat clothes, then retired to Lamont for a scouting report on Saturday's game with Columbia.

The only noteworthy switch involved Eric Crone, Harvard's latest sophomore whiz who scored twice himself and set up a third touchdown in relief Saturday against Rutgers.

Back-up Man?

Crone is currently listed as backup quarterback on the depth charts, but he is also working in at halfback during dummy scrimmages. The logic behind moving Crone to halfback is strong- at 6' 3" and 205 pounds, he runs with authority, has a quick start and can throw the halfback pass accurately.

It seems unlikely that coach John Yovicsin will leave Crone at quarterback since classmate Rod Foster has assorted himself as the Crimson's number one signal caller. In the event of an injury to Foster. Crone could always return to quarterback and he is too talented to leave on the bench.

But if Yovicsin has in mind moving Crone to halfback permanently, he's not telling anyone. He insists that Crone is the backup quarterback and that Steve Harrison is the starter at halfback. Don't be surprised, though, to see Crone in the same backfield with Foster and fullback Tom Miller before the season is over.

Harrison came down with the flu Monday and missed practice, and starting guard Skip Starck is in bed after playing Saturday with the same ailment.

There were no serious injuries against Rutgers, and sophomore defensive tackle Ed Vena, who sat out the game with an ankle injury, was running Monday with only a slight limp. He's expected to start against Columbia.

Pro scouts from the Jets and Chargers viewed Monday's practice from the sidelines, ostensibly to size up seniors Pete Varney and Rick Frisbie. They spent most of their time, however, commiserating over ???? teams' 1-2 and 0-3 records.