Boston College Eliminates ROTC; Harvard Corps to Leave In June

By Madeline S. Crivello

The Board of Directors of Boston College have voted 9-5 to terminate Army ROTC. Under the contract between the military training program and B.C., ROTC has until June 1972 to leave the campus.

The future of ROTC had been uncertain since last May when the University Academic Senate (UAS), following a University strike protesting the invasion of Cambodia, voted to eliminate ROTC. The vote was upheld by the Boston College Board of Directors at their meeting last Saturday.

The Board had discussed the motion to eliminate ROTC at its June meeting but decided to postpone a decision until this fall when views of students and faculty could be heard.

At Harvard, the contract between ROTC and the Corporation expires at the end of this academic year. The Faculty voted in April 1969 not to allow ROTC any special privileges. ROTC will have to vacate all University-owned buildings by June 1971.

The Army ROTC decided to leave a year early and vacated Shannon Hall, its headquarters, last June. The Social Relations Department has since taken over the building.

Navy Still Here

The Navy and Air Force ROTCs still occupy a few offices in Van Serg Hall, the building that has served as their headquarters since World War II. Van Serg Hall is located next to Shannon Hall.